Summertime.. and the Living is Easy... or something.
Can you believe it-- June 1st already?! Yikes!
Time to get out the shorts, crank up the fans and not forget to put on that all important sunscreen! I think after this past weekend we can all agree that summer is definitely here in Indiana!! (but then again, do you really EVER know in Indiana?! We seem to be able to have all 4 seasons in one day!)
Here are some of my initial thoughts about this summer so far...
- How sweet is this extra hour of day-light?! I can come home from work at 5 and still have 4-5 hours left to "play" outside. I almost feel like a little kid again who didn't want to come in when their parents told them it was time for bed-- "what?! It's still LIGHT outside!!"
- Late night walks outside are fun. Especially once it starts cooling off.
- Um, what happened to the gradual heating up period?! We went from 50 degree weather to about 85/90. What the junk?!? Yeah.. I will just blame this on Indiana once again. :-/
- Road-trips are AMAZING... but gas is EXPENSIVE. Hmmmmmmm.... so far I've been one a road trip every weekend in May, and June is filling up quite nicely as well. All I can say is that I am glad people and relationships are worth FAR more than the price at the pump. It is a trade I would gladly make.
- Now that all of my favorite TV shows seem to be coming to an end (for the season OR FOREVER- Alias, Lost, Everwood, Gilmore Girls, etc) it's high time I found something better to do with my time. So I'm taking suggestions.... anyone know of anything fun to fill up a random summer's night? Have any of you been reading any good books or found any fun board games to play with family/friends? (my family is totally gagga-games... I just kinda play along... literally :p)
And... to keep myself somewhat accountable, here are some of my summer goals so far...
- Start reading through the Old Testament again in my devos-- and get in God's word on a more regular basis (yes, I have been a SUPER slacker in this area lately and this has to change)
- read at least 12-15 new books between now and the end of August. That's about 4-5 per month, which I know is a bit steep, but heck, I don't have any TV to watch right now! It's back to "old school" for me!
- Exercise at least 4 times per week. And yes, I would count Dance Dance Revolution.
- Do a community service project with Habitat for Humanity.
- Help with behind the scenes decorating for Vacation Bible School.
- Spend more time/money/energy investing in relationships and new friends.
- Pray more.
Ok.. so that is my list so far. I may get inspired and ad to it later, but ya gotta start small somewhere...
June... wowzers.... I'm still in a state of sticky humidity-bound shock.


No comments:
Post a Comment