Thursday, June 22, 2006

Fresh Faced

Right now we have about 12.5 people packed into our little suburbia house... yes, the Cincinnati relatives are here. It's only for one night or so as they head back from their camping extravaganza -- but this morning when I got up there was a line for my bathroom so needless to say I kept it short and sweet. And forgot to grab my make-up bag. :-p So... it's a "fresh faced" kind of day. It's weird. 

Now, before you get any wacky ideas, I'm not a total cake-it-on makeup girl. I pretty much stick to the basics... a bit of coverup, pinch of blush and the good ol mascara... oh, and then a bit of lip-gloss for good measure... but nothing at all?! My face feels naked. Exposed. Out there with all it's imperfections. Yeah... I guess I've sorta gotten used to this world where we try to hide everything that's not right about us... afraid that if we let our "real" selves show, no one in their right minds will like us. But somehow we often fail to see beyond ourselves and realize that everyone else has boughten into that same lie. The irony... we we want relationships that are "real", honest and open, yet we are trying ourselves to be everything but those things. (yeah... wacky) So why do we persist in these games-- trying to be the exact opposite of what we are attracted to in relationships-- in order to be "accepted"? hmmm... maybe it's because we all fear rejection... loneliness or true vulnerability. It seems like since the fall we have always tried to run and hide... scared of being "naked" before God... and others. 

As I was reading in an article from Radiant the other day... 
"Fact is, there’s nothing more attractive, fun or friendly than a (person) who is willing to embrace (their) imperfections and be authentic about who (they are). Such disarming confi dence quells even the greatest of insecurities, and draws like a magnet others seeking honest relationship."

It's interesting how random things in life-- like not wearing makeup-- can shed light on other more deeper aspects in our lives... I have more thoughts to share at some point on this whole crazy "authentic" relationship thing, but it's time for work... so for now, I'm just gong to leave you with this quote...

"Be who you is. Cause if you ain't who you is, you is who you ain't."

No comments: