Wednesday, November 16, 2005

"Wicked" Wednesday-- Honda:Piece by Piece

So.. for those of you who don't know, I happen to drive an 89 Honda Accord. I LOVE it. Last night it just so happened to click over 166,000 miles & I think it wants to start collecting it's Social security check. It groans at me sometimes, and I wonder if it's going to make it through another cold Indiana weather. It has too... otherwise I just might cry.

It's a happy little car--covered with flowers due to my last job at the vinyl/decal siding company. People have stopped me at lights and asked if I was a hippie. I just smile and say--I could be! :-D It's fun because often I forget that I HAVE flowers on my car and suddenly people will be looking at me, waving, giving me peace signs and I have no idea why! Until I remember. I especially love the reaction of children. Perhaps that was my biggest motivator to decorate my car in the first place-- besides the fact that it was old, so why not?!-- but just to make someone smile... especially kids. I still haven't gotten tired of hearing "Mommy, mommy!! Look at that cool car with flowers on it!" :-D

Anyway. Site of the day if you haven't already seen it-- The Honda Cog Movie. What a sweet commercial. These things have always fascinated me... showing a great example of cause and effect. I don't know if any of you ever have watched a McGee & Me video, but this sort of thing happens at the beginning of every movie, and I always thought it was amazing. Anyway. I'm out. Hope you all are having a great week so far.

Quick note about the commercial:
"Six hundred and six takes it took, and if they had been forced to do a 607th it is probable, if not downright certain, that one of the film crew would have snapped and gone mad.

On the first 605 occasions something small, usually infuriatingly minute, went just slightly awry and the whole delicate arrangement was wrecked. A drop too much oil there, or here maybe one ball-bearing too many giving a fraction too much impetus to the movement. Whirr, creak, crash, the entire, card-house of consequences was a write-off and they had to start again.

Honda's latest television advertisement, a two-minute film called "Cog", is like a fine-lubricated line of dominoes. It begins with a transmission bearing which rolls into a synchro hub which in turn rolls into a gear wheel cog and plummets off a table on to a camshaft and pulley wheel. All the parts are from the new Honda Accord"
(read the rest of this article here)

1 comment:

Jonathan Anderstrom said...

Jen, have I ever told you how absolutely fascinating you are?