Thursday, February 16, 2006

Extremes

Ok.. so I'm "stealing" someone elses blog post from a few months ago, but it really mirrors what I've been thinking-- especially with a site Stephen pointed out yesterday, so I figured I would share it with you all...
It's from the blog of "The Crooked Saint" (he seems to have dropped off blogging for the past few months.. maybe because of his recent decision to go to seminary, but I can't really speculate because I just stumbled apon his blog today) I just love the blogging world. It can be both frusterating, and invigurating-- make us angry, and open our minds... and you can just meet all sorts of people.
ok.. nough said.. here's the post... seriously, let me know what you think about it....

"Here are a couple topics floating around the blogs I frequent.

Cussing:
One camp thinks no truly saved person will cuss. If someone cusses, they are not a Chrstian
The other camp thinks dropping F-bombs and cussing in general doesn't reflect any spiritual deficiency.

Rock Music:
One camp thinks the devil created the drum and rock music as a form of music is un-redeemable
The other camp rocks and rolls all night and parties every day.

Scripture:
One camp: Inerrant and easy to understand. There is a prescription for everything.
The other camp: Scripture as allegory and useful, but not the final authority

Emergent Church:
One camp: Lucifer's children
The other camp: The only way to reach the world.

I think people grossly underestimate God. To me, it's reasonable to accept the inerrancy of Scripture and also throw up my hands at times and say "I don't know how to read this passage."
I think we should thoughtfully choose our words, but I can't in good conscience say someone who uses the "S" word is incapable of a relationship with Christ.

I think we should always be thinking of ways to reach the world for Christ...but I can't throw out thousands of years of Church tradition...nor can I let that tradition keep me from reaching the lost.

And rock music: Oh my, I would be a shell of a person without it.

I won't point you to any websites. I'm finding myself spending way too much time debating things like this with people who do not have ears to hear. I wouldn't want anyone reading this to fall prey to the time-robbers.

I know this for sure (and I'm stealing this line) There is a God. I am not Him. Thanks be to God for grace through Christ because there's no way I'll know everything in this life."

No comments: