Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Fray Concert

I finally found the chord for my camera, so I figured it was about time I put up some pictures from the Fray concert. It was one interesting and fun night. Took off after work and headed up to Grand Rapids. A quick pit-stop at Panera Bread for some dinner and then it was off again to the Delta Plex.
The Venue-- Um, wow. It was a hockey arena and definitely NOT what I was expecting. Got frisked down at the door and then headed to the main floor. It was standing room only on the floor. It was interesting because I felt like we were in a fish bowl of sorts... all the people sitting in the stands around us.
The opening band--interesting. Not the worst I have seen in my concert going career. They were from the UK. I guess vests are coming back in or something. two of their band members were sporting them.
The surrounding crowd--um, wow. What do you get when you cross minor with alcohol and other random (although never officially seen drugs)?? Obnoxious, half drunk people that like to throw their bodies all over the place and even try to start random fist-fights! Yes, it was interesting to say the least. The guys to our left would go from overly upset and angry.... and pushy, to all lovey-dovey over their girlfriends in about 3.5 seconds flat. Drama queens. And then you always have the crowd pushers... the people that think because they got to the concert late that they somehow have the right to push all the way from the back to the front. yeah. The gals in front of us were great, making a human barricade. Seriously, good, sweaty times. (ha!)
The Fray-- AWESOME! These guys just looked and sounded like they were having soo much fun! From playing "We will rock you" to the Beetles famed "Eleanor Rigby" to I would say the majority of the songs on their CD, these guys were rocking the house! Despite how "big" they are (as of last week their song "Save a Life" was the #1 downloaded song on itunes) these guys are still riding the "newbie" wave. Fame hasn't gotten to their heads yet and you can tell they are still in awe that so many people come to their shows and like their music. During "Cable Car" and "How to Save a Life" especially, the crowd was almost louder than the band themselves and it was fun to see the expressions. I thoroughly enjoyed the music and their presentation. I think the guys thoroughly enjoyed the fact that only a few weeks before they saw the main singer, Issac, in person at my alma-mater (Grace College). Yeah, I was jealous.
Some randomness-- more towards the end of the concert the Delta Plex (remember, it is an ice hockey arena) presented the band with an ice sculpture... yes... an ICE SCULPTURE!! I laughed. it was random and really awesome at the same time, because, I mean, who does that?!?! So yeah, that was a fun highlight.Me looking tired after the concert. Er, tired or me and the guy trying to be wanna-be-emo... I don't know.The drive home-- we all piled out of the plex. I was exhausted--from the standing, cheering, and bumping. It was a happy tired. Good band, good road-trip, good friends. Amazing night.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I think you should write for a magazine with all of the concerts that you go to! Ha! Love the pics, and of course the stories that go along with them!

Anonymous said...

look at those blue eyes on you both!!

Stephen Hinkel said...

Who you calling emo?!? HA! That's funny! ... Good Times my friend! Good Times!