Thursday, July 13, 2006

I'm O.K..... or am I?

This quote from the book "Messy Spirituality" by Michael Yaconelli was extremely interesting to me..

"There is no room for pretending in the spiritual life. Unfortunately, in many religious circles, there exists an unwritten rule. Pretend. Act like God is in control when you don't believe he is. Give the impression that everything is okay in your life when it's not. Pretend you believe when you doubt; hide your imperfections; maintain the image of a perfect marriage with healthy and well-adjusted children when your family is like any other normal dysfunctional family. And whatever you do, don't admit that you sin."

How true this seems to be. Often in the past I have found myself falling into this lie that I have to hide my sin in order to be "accepted" and liked by others when in reality hiding my sin has only hindered me from being vulnerable and real... and even sometimes kept me at a distance from the TRUE community God wants us to partake in. Or I say I'm "ok" when really I'm not at all ok inside. I think over the past year or so I've gotten better at letting others in-- taking off the mask-- but it hasn't been easy for me-- and honestly it probably never WILL be easy. 

Sin likes to stay hidden, in the dark, tucked away from everyone... there it can grow, hide, simmer, whatever...but it is not until we expose that sin to "the Light" that we can truly be set free. 

so... think about it... what sins are you currently hiding that could use a little Light? And are you really "ok" or is it all just a farse?

No comments: