Monday, October 17, 2005

Somethings you just will never understand


So... I'm reading this interesting book right now that a lot of the ladies in my church have been reading. Well... mostly married woman.. but I figured I could always use a head-start on the game. haha. The book is called "For Women Only" and is basically a tiny pin-hold glimpse into the mind of a guy. Very interesting... confusing... exasperating... because honestly sometimes I just DON'T get the male psyche! But the thing I've come to realize is that... I don't HAVE to get it. Gals will never truly understand guys and vice versa. And honestly, that fact is kinda nice. AND kinda relieving.
*sigh*

So... feedback time. What is one thing you wish you really did understand about the opposite sex? (I only said one... because like I said... it's impossible to get it all) ;-) ok.. discuss! (please?)

6 comments:

Brandon said...

What they are thinking. Because you just know that even if they do answer the question "What are you thinking?," you are not getting the entire thought.

Brandon said...

An addendum: This isn't really a question, but as I sit here in the coffee shop overhearing the girl next to me's phone conversation, I am constantly amazed by how much girls talk to their mothers and how much they tell them about everything.

Mrs. Cournia said...

I guess I would probably want to understand the whole "visual stimulation" thing in men. I think I understand it now better than I ever have, but I still don't completely get it...probably becaue I don't experience it.

MuShuMegan said...

I want to understand how guys can put pants on over boxer shorts. I mean, don't the boxer shorts get all bunched up? In my P.E. class in high school, some of our teachers insisted that we wear the regulation-school-assigned shorts under our sweatpants and they always bunched. So how do guys do it?

Jen said...

ok... just in response to some of the "chatter" (which I love by the way)

Mr. Medley— I, speaking from a female viewpoint here, think you are TOTALLY right about the "What are woman really thinking?" thing. We DON'T usually tell you everything, because sometimes I think not even WE get everything. Speaking from just me (because I hesitate to speak for the whole female gender) when I have a thought sometimes it is on multiple levels. I don't really know how to explain this very clearly, but there seems to be a lot of emotions and other thoughts flying around attached to that one thought and often it is hard to explain them all... nor do we think we need to sometimes. I think gals just expect men to "get" it, but they don't. Or that whole thing where you say/hear one thing but REALLY mean something else. When we talk to other females somehow they seem to get it... yeah, I think the genders really DO speak different languages sometime. Maybe that is why some girls can spend so much time talking to their mothers about everything... because they feel that bond-- that comaraderie *shrug* don't ask me.. that's just the way it is. (PS- As for me.. I have a good relationship with my mom, but I certainly don't think you should tell her EVERYTHING... especially if/when you are married. There are some things you just should keep to yourself ;-))

Lindsay— Great question. There is a good chapter in this book about the whole visual thing. I still don't really grasp it completely, and probably never really will. I myself am pretty visual just because I am so artistic and just drawn to certain things so I guess I can understand it to SOME point, but I guess I just didn't understand that it is something that most ALL guys deal with. I guess I just USED to categorize it as being a horrible thing and guys must not be very strong if they struggle with that (ok, so I was rather naïve at that point) but since then I have come to the realization that even strong Christian guys that I know struggle in this area, and that most guys at some point, or even daily, must decide what they are going to do with that temptation… give in, or give it to Christ. Sometimes they are going to give in—but we all are sinners… so I can’t judge them any harder than I judge myself for sins in my life. I’m finally beginning to understand that the visual thing is normal in the lives of guys and God somehow wired them that way and chose not to do so to us (females). It’s probably a good thing to otherwise we might spend all our time having sex and never get anything done (ha!) I guess when it comes down to it, we live in a fallen world and so what God created for good has been twisted and mauled. Hmmmmm… but like yourself…it still doesn’t mean I completely understand it :-p

Megan— um… AMAZING question.. and honestly I DON’T know the answer to that one because I wonder the same thing!!! (have tried it a few times myself and think it is way annoying!) Any guys out there wanna answer this one for us?

Jeanna said...

I have read this book too and I was totally amazed how men often think! I even asked a few guys some of the same survey questions asked of men in the book and I got the same answer! Who would have thought!!

I have to admit, I still don't understand men, I don't think I ever will and I don't really want to...I kinda enjoy the unknown...sometimes :)